Studley Park

Description of this historic site

The site of Studley Park, a deer park dating to the Medieval period. It is situated north east of Studley.

Notes about this historic site

1 Noted.
2 Park at Studley given by Peter Corbizun to Thurstan de Montfort. It had probably belonged originally to the castle. By 1296 it was in the hands of John de Montfort’s guardian and overlord, the Earl of Warwick. In 1520 Thomas Atwood, then prior, leased a parcel of pasture to Robert Morgan and it became known as Morgan’s Park. At the Dissolution it passed to Sir Edmund Knightley and afterwards to Fulke Knottesford, who sold it to Sir Fulke Greville for £2000 in 1615. It may already have been disparked, since it was not shown on Saxton’s map of 1576. By about the middle of the 17th century part at least had become reunited with the manor of Studley Castle. The extent of the Park in 1615 was 140 acres and it appears to have lain rather to the NE of the present park, in the region of Mars Hill, and to have extended to the E boundary of the parish at Morton Brook. The present Studley Park was made when the castle was built in 1834, though it has been considerably enlarged since that time.
3 The perimeter was not established.
4 The Medieval park was probably disparked by 1615, and had certainly been enclosed by 1686. A map of 1752 shows a number of ‘park’ field names to the east and north-east of the Medieval castle. The park is not shown on early 19th century maps, but had been partially reinstated by the time of the OS 1st edition as a park around the 19th century Studley Castle [see PRN 8602].
5 Map illustrating areas probably within the Medieval park.

More from Studley