Stable Block of Merevale Hall
A stable block, which was built during the Imperial period and was associated with Merevale Hall. The building is situated at Merevale Hall, 600m south east of Merevale Church.
1 Stable block and attached forecourt walls, gate piers and gates. Designed originally by Edward Blore between 1835 and 1842, but probably largely by Henry Clutton after 1842. Regular coursed sandstone. Slate roofs have moulded cornices and embattled parapets and gable parapets; stone internal and ridge stacks. U-plan, adjoining Merevale Hall, but the buildings together with walls form a courtyard. 2 storeys; entrance front of 3-1-1-1-3 bays. High splay plinth, buttresses and angle buttresses. Central bay with angle piers and chamfered segmental arch on paired shield corbels. Segmental-arched studded and panelled gates. Flanking bays have small chamfered mullioned windows. The rear wing has a 2-tier 13-bay arcade of segmental-pointed arches. To the courtyard above the archway is a trefoiled arched panel with the coat of arms. Square embattled clock tower to left. Left wing is coach houses. Right wing has varied openings. Interiors not inspected. Attached forecourt walls of varying heights have stone coping. Chamfered gatepiers with ball finials. Cast iron gates have armorial cartouches.