Site of Rother Market Chapel, Rother Street
The site of a nonconformist chapel, originally Presbyterian, built in the Post Medieval period. It was demolished in 1976. It was located off Rother Street, behind the present Congregational Church.
1 ‘The New House lately erected in the Rother Markett’ was registered for Presbyterian use in 1714. In 1783 the congregation was re-formed as an Independent church. Major alterations made in 1824 including the erection of a schoolroom at the rear, and further ‘renovation and improvement’ in 1859. In 1880 a new Congregational chapel was built on a different site (PRN 2460) and the former chapel converted for use as a public hall. Demolished 1976.
2 Photograph in RCHME Inventory.