Site of Post Medieval Bridge at Purlieu Lane
Documentary evidence suggests that this is the site of a Post Medieval bridge associated with Kenilworth Castle. It was built of timber across the north arm of the Mere. The site lies to the north of Castle Green.
1 Laneham mentions a great wooden bridge built across the great N arm of the Mere. Laneham records that Lord Leicester built a ‘fayre tymbred bridge’ 14 feet (4.2m) wide and 600 feet (183m) long, railed on both sides and reaching from the Chase to the Castle. This bridge seems to have been on the route of the Lane stretching between Castle Green and the Pleasaunce, known locally as Pearly (Purlieu) Lane. There is now a causeway across what was the N arm of the pool. A letter of 1605 suggests that the bridge had already fallen into decay.