Site of Medieval Preceptory at Grafton Court
The site of a Medieval preceptory, a manor or estate run by an order of knights. The site is suggested by documentary evidence. It was situated 500m south of Temple Grafton.
1 The Graftons were the principal landowners during the later C12. The first mention of the Knights Hospitallers occurs in 1189 when they were granted land here. By 1338 they had a Preceptory here and continued as lords of the manor until the suppression of their order in 1540 when the manor passed to the Crown.
2 Noted by Ordnance Survey.