Site of Medieval Manor House at Packwood Hall
The site of a moated manor house dating to the Medieval period. The house is known from documentary evidence. It is situated 100m west of the church at Packwood. A post hole was found during an archaeological works. It is likely to have held a large timber upright probably forming part of the timber-framing from a long demolished section of the house. Glazed ridge tile fragments were found inside the posthole suggesting the medieval buildings high status.
1 A manorial history exists. In 1410 the Prior of Coventry had ‘a manor surrounded with pools’.
2 The moated site containing the Medieval manor was Scheduled as an Ancient Monument SM 21610 in 1995.
3 During archaeological observation of groundworks a post hole probably relating to the medieval structure was found.