Site of Gasworks
The site of gas works, where gas was produced for domestic use during the Imperial period. It was marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. It closed down in 1920. The site is 200m south west of Sandy Way, Barford.
1 The gasworks was established in 1872 and in 1874 it is described as consisting of one gasholder and three retorts.
2 Shown on the 1886 Ordnance Survey 1st ed. The gasworks closed in 1920 and the site became a transport depot.