Site of Clay Pipe Factory in Potters Lane
The site of a factory that made clay pipes. It was built in the Post Medieval period and continued to be used until the Imperial period. The factory was situated on Potters Lane, Polesworth.
1 Medieval tiles were produced here (PRN 276). As on other similar sites, production of tobacco pipes succeeded production of tiles and the remains of the kiln were only removed a few years ago.
2 Correspondence in Birmingham Museum. Letter to Chatwin (above) from A T Corefield relaying the finding of old pipes and tiles (med? Tiles) on Potters Lane. Correspondence also states that the Potters House still stands (in 1936), and that Canon Trotter employed Corfield to place the pipes and tiles in the Church Wall.