Site of Chapel at Wilmcote
There is documentary evidence of a chapel at Wilmcote, from the Medieval to the Post Medieval period. The site is in the area of Swanfold.
1 A chapel at Wilmcote is first mentioned in 1228. In the 14th century the advowson was held by the manor of Little Wilmcote and in 1481 it was given to the Guild of the Holy Cross at Stratford. There is still a field at Wilmcote called Chapel Field. A cottage in Wilmcote which was commonly known as the chapel was leased in 1638.
2 The Rev A C Q Churchill has conducted research into the chapel. The dedication was to St Mary Magdalene. He considers the site to be an area centred at the above grid reference, now a modern housing strip, where there was formerly the oldest house in the village. This building contained a priest’s room. Churchill considers that this was the chapel of 1638 and also possibly the site of the chapel of 1228. Chapel field was not traced.