Site of Possible Round Barrow 500m E of Pathlow
The site of a possible round barrow, a mound usually built to conceal a burial. The barrow probably dates to the Bronze Age period. It is situated 500m east of Pathlow.
1 The Liberty of Pathlow had the title of a Hundred and is recorded in 1086. The place which gives it its name is a tumulus, or heap of earth, situated in a lane on top of a hill, upon the left hand side of the road leading from Wootton Wawen to Stratford. It is about midway between the two towns and about ‘abow-shoot’ from the road, also close to the road from Warwick to Alcester. On the site is enclosed ground which is still called Pathlow.
2 The old Warwick-Alcester road enters the parish on the E at Gospel Oak. Here stood the tumulus from which Pathlow Hundred took its name. In Dugdale’s time this was still the meeting place of the Court Leet and Court Baron and the Court Leet was still held here occasionally as late as the middle of the 19th century.
3 No visual evidence of a mound seen in the area.
5 Reference 4 discusses a number of other Hundred Mounds and other meeting place mounds in England. Some of these appear to have been constructed in the post-Roman period, rather than utilising Bronze Age burial mounds.
6 Confirmed as Bronze Age.