Site of Blackwell Deserted Medieval Settlement
The possible site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Blackwell. The settlement was probably located in the area to the south of Meer End.
1 Marked as a ‘depopulated place’ at about the above grid reference.
2 Blackwell is recorded during the reign of Henry II (1154-89). In 1565 ten ‘cottiers’ and four freeholders are recorded. Since the mid 16th century it has been part of Kenilworth.
3 No modern settlement of Blackwell exists, so the site is presumably depopulated. The only clue to its location is reference 4.
4 Blackwell Coppice marked. Source uncertain.