Remains of St Michael's Church, Saltisford, Warwick
The remains of St Michael's Church. The original chapel is probably of the same time as St Michael's Leper Hospital. The surviviing structure dates to the later Medieval period with Post Medieval alterations. The building lies along the Birmingham Road, Saltisford, Warwick.
1 St Michael’s Church was associated with the hospital (PRN 1927). The hospital was founded in the early 12th century. The chapel was probably rebuilt in the 15th century, after it had ceased to be a parish church, and part of it remains.
2 1978: The chapel was restored – a Victorian lean-to was demolished and two holes dug to examine the foundations. Pottery and bone were found and Harold Mytum undertook observation work. Several layers were exposed and a feature of uncertain significance which predated the chapel building was found. Finds included horse, cow and sheep bone, a piece of Medieval (?13th century) pottery.
4 The present structure dates from the 15th century. Since that date it has undergone considerable alterations, and the only surviving features which can be assigned to the Medieval period are one of the N doors, the E and W windows and the roof. The chapel is roofed with a barrel-vaulted wooden ceiling of probable 15th century date. It has been heavily restored since 1978. The chapel was converted into a cottage in the 17th century or 18th century.
6 Listing Description.
7 The chapel was converted into two houses in the 18th century, suffered fire damage to its original wooden barrel vault in November 1988, and a large proportion of its roof tiles is missing.
8 Evaluation trenches in 2004 located 13th century stone building remains belonging to either the early hospital or the chapel. 13th century or earlier post holes and pits were also found and may relate to timber structures in the very early phase of the site.
A definite later medieval phase was identified consisting of masonary wall foundations and a yard surface (similar to MWA 9224). Other possible boundary features were also located.
9 Plan of the Leper Hospital showing the Chapel in 1851.
10 Drawing of the chapel.