Possible site of Knights Templar's Manor House at Temple House, Chilvers Coton. Disproved.
The possible site of a Medieval manor house and associated moat, belonging to the Knights Templars, of Medieval date. The site is located 300m south west of Park Farm. Now disproved
1 The Knights Templars held land in Chilvers Coton in 1185. These passed to the Knights Hospitallers when the former order was disbanded. The land possibly still belonged to the Hospitallers in 1529. After 1481 the property is always recorded as a manor and in the Post Medieval period a manor house called ‘The Temple’ existed on the site (PRN 6342).
2 OS gives this location for the cell of the Knights Templars. The modern house is called ‘The Temple’ and is surrounded by a moat (PRN 6343).
3 Now disproved. Temple House lies outside the Templars manor and demesnes. The site was formerly known as Lutmans End. It was never anciently a manor. The reference in VCH is an error.