Skilts Park, Studley.
The site of a deer park dating to the Post Medieval period, surrounding the site of a grange of Studley Priory. It was situated east of Mappleborough Green.
2 ‘Skilts Park’ was made for deer by William Sheldon, the builder of the manor house early in Elizabeth’s reign. By 1730 it had been disparked and turned into three farms. The park appears to have extended from the N boundary of the parish down to the present Redditch-Warwick road.
3 No remains of park pale identified, but a possible perimeter can be deduced from modern boundaries.
4 The park is most clearly marked on Henry Beighton’s map. By 1787 it had ceased to be a deerpark.
5 Emparked by William Sheldon before 1570 on the site of the monastic grange of Studley Priory. Boundaries are indicated on Beighton’s 1725 map. Bank and external ditch survive at Grove Wood, in north of park. Upper Skilts named as Skilts Park by Greenwood, but no surviving parkland.
6 Map illustrating extent of park.