Poss Site of Medieval Chapel 300m S of Mill House
The possible site of a Medieval chapel which is suggested by documentary evidence. The site lies 800m south of Sutton-under-Brailes.
1 In Chapel Field perhaps once stood the chapel mentioned in the Patent Rolls. In 1549 John Nethermille of Coventry and John Milwarde of Ansley bought property from the King including ‘the chapel in Stourton, Warwickshire, with its buildings, bells, lead, glass, iron, tiles, stones and ground, and the enclosure of land there which belonged to it’. Dugdale suggests that the Harwells built the chapel for the their manorial tenants. Two lines of footpaths cross one another in Chapel Field and the OS show a fifth footpath. This may be accidental or may show the site of the chapel.
2 Nothing is to be seen today.