Site of Church of St John the Baptist
The site of the Church of St John the Baptist which was built during the Medieval period and is mentioned in documentary sources. It was leased to a tanner after the Dissolution and appears to have been demolished by 1711. It stood in the present Market Place, Warwick.
1 The church was granted in 1123 to St Mary’s College. In 1367 it was united with St Mary’s. By the late 15th century the church housed the grammar school and it apparently continued to do so until the Dissolution. Later, having passed with St Mary’s to the corporation, it was leased by a tanner. It is shown as a small building, without a tower, to the S of the Booth Hall, in 1654, and ‘the outward fabric’ was still to be seen in Dugdale’s time. It appears to have been demolished before 1711, though it was not burnt during the fire of 1694.