Napton on the Hill Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Napton on the Hill, including Chapel Green, based on documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ maps, 41NW of 1886, and 41SW of 1884.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Market Charter granted for Thursdays on 8 August 1321 by Edward II to Robert de Napton. To be held at the Manor. Fair Charter vigil feast morrow of the Assumption (15th August) granted on 8th August 1321 by Edward II to Robert de Napton. To be held at the Manor. Fair recorded on 15th August in 1830.
4 Domesday lists Napton in Marton Hundred, with a total of 39 households. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 46,61. There are 3 references:
Ref 16,31 (Land of the Count of Meulan) In Napton 3 hides and 3 virgates of land. Robert holds from him. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2; 4 slaves. 11 villagers with a priest and 8 smallholders have 4 1/2 ploughs. Meadow, 10 acres; pasture, as many. The value was £4; now £3. Leofnoth and Bondi held it freely before 1066.
Ref 17,28 (Land of Thorkell of Warwick) Robert holds 3 virgates of land in Napton. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1. 4 villagers and 5 smallholders have 2 ploughs. Meadow, 8 acres. The value was 10s; now 30s. Edwin held it.
Ref 17,38 (Land of Thorkell of Warwick) Ulfketel holds 1/2 hide in Napton. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1/2 plough; 4 villagers and 2 smallholders with 1 1/2 ploughs. Meadow 6 acres. The value was 20s; now 30s. Ulfketel also held it freely.
5 The maps of 1884 and 1886 show a large, dispersed village, with one concentration of settlement in the north, and another southeast of the church, with thinner settlement linking the two. Very few empty plots and a few orchards and areas of trees. Domesday indicates multiple ownership of a smallish settlement of moderate value.The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish helps to define the limit of the settlement. There are known possible shrunken areas, MWA745, MWA747, MWA749, MWA825, and the church, MWA736, dates from the C12th.
6 The medieval pottery found within the grounds of St. Lawrence’s Church is likely to derive from the surrounding medieval settlement.
78 A number of discrete areas of earthworks were identified from Google Earth satellite imagery, associated with areas of shrunken settlement within and immediately adjacent to the previously mapped extent of medieval settlement, by the AOC Assessment of Local Services Villages for Stratford-on-Avon District Council in 2012. See child records for further details of these areas of shrunken settlement, which have been mapped separately.