Chapel Green, Napton on the Hill, Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the medieval settlement at Chapel Green based on documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886, 41 SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish of Napton.
3 The 1886 map shows very thin settlement bounded by drains, with an enclosed triangular area at its centre, and a field pattern radiating out from this centre. Ridge and furrow survival abuts it on the eastern side, with another small piece within the boundary in the northwest. MWA740 is the site of the medieval chapel of St Lawrence, and MWA744, MWA6212, and MWA6214 are deserted medieval settlement sites.
4 Evaluation within the shrunken settlement area. A stone wall foundation was recorded, probably part of a medieval or post-medieval house or farm building. A large, possibly associated, yard surface was also recorded. It is suggested that the yard surface may have continued in use over a long period of time as some pottery dating from the 17th-18th century was found pressed into the surface, whilst several sherds of pottery dating from the 12th-13th century were found within two layers beneath it.
5 Further recording was carried out within the settlement; a possible medieval or post-medieval yard durface was recorded, probably associated with the building previously recorded.
67 Two discrete areas of earthworks were identified from Google Earth satellite imagery, associated with areas of shrunken settlement within the previously mapped extent of medieval settlement, by the AOC Assessment of Local Services Villages for Stratford-on-Avon District Council in 2012. See MWA19252 and MWA19253 for further details of these areas of shrunken settlement, which have been mapped separately.