Medieval town of Rugby
The Medieval town of Rugby.
1 Full desk based archaeological assessment of Rugby Town Centre.
2Domesday lists Rugby in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref. of SP5075.
Ref 17,25 Edwulf holds 2 1/2 hides in Rugby. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough; 2 slaves; 11 villagers and 5 smallholders with 5 ploughs. A mill at 13s 4d; meadow 16 acres. The value was 50s; now 40s.
3 The OS maps of 1887, 28NW and 28NE.
4 The 1887 maps show evidence of survival of the narrow medieval plots to the east of High Street,
5 A single sherd of medieval pottery was recovered from the spoil heap of a geotechnical test pit excavated at Little Church Street, Rugby (SP 5025 7503).
6 In 1334 Subsidy valued at £37.50. Market town c.1600. Market (Charter) Sat; gr 8 Jul 1255, by K Hen III to Henry de Rokeby. To be held at the manor. In 1285 Amabilla, wife of Henry de Rokeby, claimed a Sat market by charter of K Hen III. Market continued in the twentieth century. Fair (Charter) vfm, Lawrence (10 Aug); gr 8 Jul 1255, by K Hen III to Henry de Rokeby. To be held at the manor. In 1285 Amabilla, wife of Henry de Rokeby, claimed a fair by charter of K Hen III.