Medieval Church at Stretton on Dunsmore
The site of a Medieval church. The remains of the church are visible as earthworks. The remains are located in the graveyard of the church at Church Hill, Stretton on Dunsmore.
1 There is within this village a Chapel of All Saints, which had a Chantry therein founded by Thomas de Wolvardynton.
2 There is no mention of a chapel in the Taxatio, but the chapel and chantry are recorded in 1345 and 1378. The chantry was surrendered in 1545. Stretton on Dunsmore became a separate parish from Wolston in 1696. A view of the old church c1820 shows that it consisted of chancel, nave with S (and N?) aisle under one roof, S porch and wooden tower, a bellcote with pyramidal cap at the W end of the S aisle. The windows suggest a 14th century date for most of the structure, the porch being probably 18th century.
3 Isolated fragments of the old church are evident throughout the graveyard of the modern church which is dated 1837 – after which presumably the early church was demolished.
4 Little Medieval church can still be traced in the churchyard and much of its masonry is in the wall between the old vicarage and the Manor House.
5 A hollow in the graveyard indicates (perhaps part of) the site of the church, to the NW of the present church.