Lower Ettington Deserted Settlement
The Medieval deserted settlement of Lower Ettington. Traces of the village are visible as earthworks. The village was cleared during the 18th century to create a deer park.
1 The hamlet of Ettington consisted in Dugdale’s time of the Manor House, church, vicarage, mill and a shepherd’s cottage; also a cross and stocks. In 1798 all except the church and the Manor House were removed to clear the park, but traces of the village green remain and the cross now stands in the garden of the hall (PRN 1286). The village stood near the entrance gate of the park and in a dry summer grass can be seen dying off on the old foundations.
3 Poor archaeology (C). Small quantity of documentary evidence, but period of desertion unknown.
4 No remains of the deserted Medieval village could be traced. The village cross no longer stands and cannot be located.
5 Depopulation affected most of the Ettington hamlets, including the chief manor of Lower Ettington where members of the Shirley family had their home for nearly 900 years. Here they made a deer-park and nothing remains of the village but the ruins of a part-13th century church and the manor house, which was rebuilt in 1862 and is now a hotel. The main Domesday manor of Lower Ettington lay centred upon a site which produced ‘coins of the Lower Empire, brass ornaments, and great quantities of Romano-British pottery'(Shirley, 1869, 10). Saxon spearheads found to the SE of the manor-house probably came from a pagan burial and indicate continued activity in the early Anglo-Saxon period.