Frankton Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Frankton based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886, and on evidence from aerial photographs.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS first edition map of 1886, 34NE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday has 2 entries for Frankton under Marton Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 4270.
Ref 12,2 The Earl (Roger) also holds 4 hides less 1 virgate in Frankton. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 8 villagers and 6 smallholders with 3 1/2 ploughs. Meadow 15 acres. The value was and is 60s. Wulfwin held it freely before 1066.
Ref 16,29 in Frankton 1 hide and 1 virgate of land. Ranulf holds from him (Count of Meulan). Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 4 villagers and 1 smallholder with 1 plough. Meadow, 10 acres. The value was and is 20
4 The 1887 map shows a dispersed village. WA 8311 and 8312 are known shrunken areas to the south west and to the south of the church, and there is ridge and furrow survival abutting the village on the northern side and to the south and southeast. The church [WA3169] dates from the medieval period, and there are fishponds [WA3168] which look integral to the early village but which are undated.