Wolverton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Wolverton as suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ Ordnance Survey map of 1886, 38NW.
3 Domesday has two entries for Wolverton. It was in Ferncombe Hundred, and the Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 20,62.
Ref 22,24 Urfer holds 1 hide, 1 virgate and the third part of 1 virgate in Wolverton. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1, with 1 slave; 2 villagers. Meadow, 1 furlong. The value was 10s; now 20s. Sigmund the Dane held it freely before 1066.
Ref 28,17 William (son of Corbucion) also holds in Wolverton 2 1/2 hides and 2 parts of 1 virgate. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1; 4 slaves; 10 villagers and 7 smallholders with 5 ploughs. Meadow, 20 acres; woodland 1 furlong long and 1/2 wide; in Warwick 1 house which pays 8d. The value was 30s; now 60s. Ernwin held it freely before 1066.
4 The 1886 map shows a hamlet consisting of the church, rectory, 4 farms, several orchards, and two other buildings. It looks as if the curved line on the eastern side is the remains of a boundary hedge, in which case there may have been settlement to the north of Glebe Farm. There is as yet no ridge and furrow plotting of the parish, but the mapdata shows some survival to the south. The church dates to the C13th/14th, and WA8240 is the site of possible shrunken settlement in the village.