Ford of the Dark Mere
The site of a ford, known as the Ford of the Dark Mere. The ford dated to the Early Medieval period and is known from documentary sources. It was located 500m north west of Mockley Wood.
1 A charter of AD 963 refers to ‘fiolo meres forde’ (ford of the tawny or dark mere), which was probably that at Forde Hall. ‘Forde iuxta Aspeley’ is referred to in 1399.
2 Map showing suggested site.