Ditchford Frary Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Ditchford Frary. The remains of trackways are visible as earthworks. The settlement site is located east of Lower Ditchford.
1 In Rous ‘tres Dishford’ (ie three settlements called Ditchford). One of them was probably near the present Lower Ditchford Farm in a bend of the Paddle Brook, where the author of the Victoria County History places St Giles’ Chapel.
2 Very good pattern of roads and crofts, but no house sites visible (A), period of desertion known, but documentary evidence inferior in quantity (1).
3 One mile SE of Stretton Church in a bend of the Paddle Brook is the site of the chapel of St Giles (PRN 3008) at Ditchford Frary, a decayed Medieval parish which was united with Stretton in 1642. Ditchford Frary was recorded in 1086.
4 The OS located the village from APs and conducted a survey.
6 Ridge and furrow and earthworks transcribed.
7 Find of medieval jetton and thimble. Method of recovery unrecorded and no detailed grid reference supplied.
8 Find of medieval mount in 1994. Method of recovery unrecorded and no detailed grid reference supplied.