Deserted Medieval Settlement at Dassett Southend
The site of an area of Medieval deserted settlement at Dassett Southend. Fragments of building material, such as roof tiles, have been found at the site, which lies between Little Dassett and Temple Herdewyke.
1 Fieldwalking to the S of the road revealed a number of dense scatters of rubble, tile and pottery across the W field, known as Dovehouse Close. It is clear that there were buildings along this side of the street as well, although their arrangement was different, being less regular and more widely spaced. It seems that occupation may have continued here after 1497 (see PRN 6193). Note that earthworks also occur in this area.
3 A 15th to early 16th century iron horseshoe found at this location.
4 Illustration of 3.