Priest's House at Dassett Southend
A priest's house of Post Medieval date which was attached to a chapel at Southend.
1 The earliest village of Burton Dassett belongs to the Anglo Saxon period. A cemetery of this date was found during quarrying on the Burton Hills in 1908, probably belonging to a settlement whose original nucleus was around the parish church at Burton. The 12th and 13th century saw further expansion and a shift in focus of settlement down the hill to 2 new settlements, Northend, which survives today, and Southend, excavated from 1986-1988. The Chapel, WA 651, is the only Medieval building to survive Southend. The building has two elements, the western part being the Chapel, the eastern a priest’s house built in 1632.
3 The eastern part of the Chapel, about 27ftx20ft outside, has a stone at its SW angle inscribed W.(H?) 1632.
4 Scheduled as Warwickshire Monument no 68.