Curdworth Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Curdworth based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of medieval settlement based on the OS first edition 6″ maps of 1887, 9NW and 9SW.
2 Curdworth is listed in Domesday in Coleshill Hundred. Grid ref 1792 (Phillimore edition).
Ref 17,1 Thorkell of Warwick holds Curdworth from the King. 4 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 3 slaves; 12 villagers and 7 smallholders with 5 ploughs. Meadow 16 acres; woodland 1/2 league long and as wide. The value was 40s; now 50s. Wulfwin held it freely before 1066.
3 The first edition maps show settlement each side of the main north/south street, and some to the west of the moated site [WA43], although this could be post-medieval. There are some empty plots indicating shrinkage. The church dates from the C12th. There is no ridge and furrow transcript for this parish, and the RAF vertical photo from the 1940s only shows patchy survival, and none that abuts the settlement.