Idlicote Medieval Settlement
Probable extent of Medieval settlement in Idlicote based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886, and on aerial photographs.
1 Possible area of Medieval settlement based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886 54NW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting fo the parish.
3 Domesday lists Idlicote. It is in Fexhole Hundred, and the Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 28,44.
Ref 22,5 (Land of Robert of Stafford) In Idlicote 5 hides. Land for 9 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 7 slaves; 26 villagers and 3 smallholders with 8 ploughs. The value was £4; now £8. Hafgrim and Ordneah held it freely.
4 The 1886 map shows a hamlet. The church, rectory, Idlicote House and grounds occupy the SW end. Other village buildings are in the NE. The boundary is clear, particulary on the western side. Ridge and furrow survival (on the parish plotting) is seen to encircle the village, except for a small area to the east. There are known areas of shrunken and deserted settlement [WA2272 and 2273]. Domesday indicates quite a populous and valuable village, and the church [WA2268] dates from the C12th.