Cox's Timber Yard
The site of Cox's Timber Yard, which was in operation from the Imperial period until its closure in 1991, is marked as a timber wharf on the 1851 Board of Health Plan. It has been converted into a museum and other attractions and is located to the west of Clopton Bridge, Stratford.
1 Archaeological evaluation of Cox’s Timber Yard, Stratford-upon-Avon gives a history of the timber yard which states that the land was leased to Richard Greaves in 1831 from the Stratford upon Avon Canal Company and he sublet it to James Cox, a timber merchant, from 1839 onwards. He used the Clopton Bridge toll house as his office. The long warehouse is a Grade II Listed Building. In 1873 the company constructed a steam powered sawmill on the site. Cox’s Timber Yard remained in operation until 1991 and the site was converted to a museum, brewery and restaurant/bar in 1996.
The 1851 Board of Health Plan appears in the Evaluation report whowing the site as a Timber Wharf with various buildings marked, including the Listed long warehouse.