Chapel of Atherstone Friary
A church associated with Atherstone Friary which had its origins in the Medieval period. It is situated 50m south of Florence Close, Atherstone.
1 The chancel is 14th century or 15th century but is probably on the foundations of the 12th century chapel of the alien Abbey of Bec. The priory was refounded in 1378 for the Austin Friars and the existing chancel was that of the monastic church. The octagonal embattled tower is early 15th century.
3 After the Dissolution the nave of the Friary Church was converted into a chapel for the town (PRN 269) and the chancel housed the Grammar School (PRN 6116).
4 Photograph taken in 1977.