Church of St Peter, Whatcote
The church of St Peter dating to the Medieval period and restored during the 20th century. It is located 100m south of the chapel, Whatcote..
1 Chancel, nave, S porch, and W tower. Early to mid 12th century nave, the N doorway remaining in place, and probably two windows. Other windows are of the 13th century, when the chancel was rebuilt and the tower added; the upper part of the tower is a later 13th century sequence, much repaired and altered since. Modern restorations include the rebuilding of the E wall. In 1941 an enemy bomb destroyed the S wall of the nave W of the porch as well as part of the porch, and also the W half of the nave roof. The church was completely restored in 1947. There was a priest attached to the manor of Whatcote in 1086.
2 Photograph of the exterior.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Observation of a service trench uncovered two stone foundations close to the 15th century porch, of which one could have been associated with an earlier porch.
7 Note and photographs relating to the replacement of ogee headed lights in the east window by pointed lights. Pevsner and the VCH describe the windows as 13th century, so if they were correct, the present window must have been re-set 600 years later.