Church of St Giles, Nether Whitacre
The Parish Church of St. Giles, whose origins are in the Medieval period. It is situated in Nether Whitacre.
1 Chancel and N vestry, nave, S porch and W tower, of 14th century origin, but almost completely rebuilt except for the 16th century tower.
2 Church first attested in 1280.
4 Jambs of E window & rubble walling poss. 14th century. 14th century carved stones reset in tower walls – poss. indicate earlier tower. Restoration 1870 – rebuilding of S wall of nave. Heating ducts – nave floor. External drains – whole exterior. Probably good survival of below-floor deposits.
5 An archaeological evaluation to the west of the church for a cemetery extension revealed no significant archaeological remains.
6 An archaeological observation of groundworks associated with the installation of a toilet in the bell tower revealed a layer of sandstone rubble beneath the bell tower floor, while the sewer trench through the graveyard cut through the upper part of a single grave.