Church of St Mary, Bearley
The Church of St Mary was originally built during the Medieval period. The building was largely renovated during the 20th century. It is situated in Bearley.
1 Largely rebuilt in modern times, but nave dates probably from end 12th century, the chancel may be of the 13th century or 14th century. Much of the upper part of the walling is modern, also all the windows. The nave was lengthened and the W porch and bell turret added early 19th century.
2 Nave and chancel in one, W tower of brick. 1961-2 by N Hawkes. Old masonry was used and a Norman N doorway opened up.
4 The nave is thought to be 12th century, the chancel 13th- of 14th century and the octagonal font 15th century. In 1875 the church’s two bells were recast into one. The church register records baptisms from 1549, marrages from 1550 and burials fom 1552. There is a gap from 1647-1653 due to the Civil War. In 1221 John de Burle granted the advowson of the chapel of Bearley to the Prior of Wootton Wawen.