Church of St Lawrence, Barton on the Heath
The Church of St Lawrence which was built during the Medieval period. It is situated 150m north west of the Post Office, Barton on the Heath.
1 Chancel, nave, S aisle or chapel, S porch and W tower. Early 12th century chancel and nave. The small W tower was built in the late 12th century and its top stage added in the early 14th century, when the E wall of the chancel was rebuilt. S chapel added c1330. The chancel S wall was rebuilt in some post-Reformation restoration. Modern S porch. 15th century font. Fragments of 13th to 15th century glass. Brass effigy dated 1608.
2 Plan of the church.
3 Photographs of the exterior and of the chancel arch.
4 There was probably an Anglo-Danish church here, for one chancel N window has a remodelled head of the early 11th century with loose interlace and a serpent. Small unbuttressed W tower with a saddleback roof.
5 Listed Building Description.
6 OS Card.