Chapel of St Mary at Kenilworth Castle
The Chapel of St Mary, the probable remains of a Medieval chapel at Kenilworth Castle.
1 In 1313 Thomas, Earl of Lancaster began to build a chapel within Kenilworth Castle. This he intended to convert into a great chantry or collegiate church of St Mary, to be served by thirteen secular canons. This seems to have been more or less completed by 1318, but the chantry was never founded. The remains of the building may well be those in the outer ward, near ‘Leicester’s Barn’, now ascribed to John of Gaunt.
2 Scheduled as Warwickshire Monument No 1.
3 Listed Building description.
4 Re-Scheduled in 1996 as Monument No 21576.