Church of St Nicholas, Loxley
The church of St Nicholas was originally built during the Medieval period and several features of this date still remain, including the tower. However, it was largely rebuilt during the Imperial period. It is situated in Loxley.
1 Chancel with vestry to S, nave and SW tower. The tower is Medieval, probably a part of the church dedicated in 1286. It opened onto a former S aisle (to the E) as well as the nave. The remainder of the church was rebuilt about the mid 18th century. Restoration 1923-4. There was a priest at Loxley in 1086.
2 Herringbone masonry in the chancel could be 11th century or Georgian. SW tower is 13th century. The surrounds of the chancel windows are 13th or 14th century. The rest dates from the 18th century, probably c1735-40. Norman pillar piscina.
4 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
5 Mentions uncovering of original north wall of Chancel during installation of damp course in 1983. Report accompanied by graveyard survey.
6 Material relating to a visit in 1978 to inspect underpinning around the vestry.
7 Photographs relating to 6.