Church of St Mary, Lapworth
The Church of St Mary dating to the Medieval period. Parts of the church were restored in subsequent periods. It is situated 600m south west of the cricket ground, Lapworth.
1 Chancel, N chapel, N and S aisles, S porch, a small W parvise,and N tower with spire connected to the church by a vestibule. Early 12th century aisleless nave; one window survives over the N arcade. N aisle added in early 13th century; mid 13th century S aisle. Chancel rebuilt and N chapel added probably also in mid 13th century, but their windows were subsequently enlarged. Late 14th century detached N tower, spire probably later. Whole building remodelled in 15th century: Clearstorey added to nave, and aisle walls rebuilt, except for parts of the S aisle. 13th century chancel arch enlarged using original material. W parvise or muniment room added, a rare feature which may indicate that the church then possessed some highly esteemed sacred relic visited by pilgrims. Chancel repaired 1860; further restorations 1872-3 and the top of the spire was rebuilt 1884. The vestibule leading to the tower is modern but it is probable that some sort of corridor preceded it. Early 14th century font bowl.
2 Plan of the church.
3 Photographs of the exterior and of the north arcade.
4 The Perp clerestory has very lively shafts and figure work, and the timber roof is uncommonly good too.
7 Poss. Norman chancel arch. 17th century cottages on S side of churchyard removed 1892. Internal graves – floor, S side of chancel. External drains – whole exterior. Probably good survival of below-ground deposits.