Burton Hastings Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Burton Hastings based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and on an aerial photograph.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS first edition 6″ map of 1886, 11SE.
2 Burton Hastings is listed in Domesday in Brinklow Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid ref of 4189.
Ref 19,2 (Land of Henry of Ferrers) Ralph holds 4 hides in Burton (Hastings). Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2. 13 villagers with a priest and 7 smallholders have 6 ploughs. 2 mills at 7s 8d. The value was £4; now 40s. Siward held it.
3 The 1886 map shows a village grouped around the intersection of four roads, with angles and dog legs suggesting antiquity. Many of the plots are empty – not even converted to orchards. Domesday indicates a populous village, so there must have been shrinkage over the centuries. The parish has not yet been covered for ridge and furrow plotting, but the RAF aerial photo of 1950 shows survival to the south, with two fields abutting the settlement. The church [WA2765] dates from the medieval period, as does the mill WA2767.