Shelford Deserted Medieval Settlement
The Medieval deserted settlement of Shelford. The settlement is known to have existed from documentary evidence and some areas are visible as earthworks. The settlement is situated 1.5km south east of Burton Hastings.
1 According to Dugdale to the S of Burton Hastings is Shireford where nothing remains apart from part of the manor house. The site is adjoining the modern Shireford Farm, marked ‘Shelford’ on the OS map. In 1508 Henry Smith enclosed a 130 acre park for which he was presented to the 1517 Inquiry. Mr Brown of Astley told Beresford that the site was quite clearly visible, but Beresford did not visit it.
2 Beresford gives SP4284 as the grid reference, but this is incorrect. Shelford is centred at SP4288.
3 Shelford: Poor archaeology (C), small quantity of evidence for former village’s existence (3).
4 1960: The area is partly under plough and partly pasture. No trace of the site was found. 1967: Centred on the above grid reference and bounded by ridge and furrow is a disturbed area. It is approached from the NW and NE by old roads and is almost certainly the site of the old village. It is now under pasture, but no distinctive features are recognisable on the ground.
5 Noted in MVRG report.