Pillerton Hersey Medieval Settlement
Probable extent of the Medieval settlement at Pillerton Hersey as suggested by the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 Probable area of Medieval settlement, based on the OS first edition map of 1886, 51 NW.
2 Domesday lists Pillerton Hersey in Tremlow Hundred, and the Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 29,48, whereas this grid ref is 30,48.
Ref 18,3 (Land of Hugh of Grandmesnil) in Pillerton (Hersey) 10 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 3; 8 male and 4 female slaves; 23 villagers with a priest, 1 man-at-arms and 5 smallholders who have 9 ploughs. A mill at 5s; woodland 1 league long and 1 wide; in Warwick 1 dwelling which pays 4d; meadow 20 acres. The value was £10; now £17. Baldwin held it freely.
3 The first edition map shows a compact village with a high coverage of trees. It lies at the confluence of two streams and at the intersection of 4 roads. The interior of the village is full of sinuous and dog- leg lanes, but many of the plots are empty, suggesting considerable shrinkage. It is largely bounded by lanes except for the northern limit which is defined by hedges and a footpath on the Manor House grounds. The Domesday entry indicates a populous and valuable village. The church dates from the C13th, WA2029 is the mill mentioned in Domesday, and WA 2028 is the site of fishponds, possibly of medieval origin. Ridge and furrow plotting is not yet available for this parish, but the database mapping shows survival all around the village.