Burmington Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement in Burmington as indicated on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and by ridge and furrow earthworks on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement based on the first edition 6″ maps, 57 NW 1884, 54 SW 1886, and 53 SE 1886.
2 Ridge and furrow survives all around the village, and extensive earthworks of previous settlement can be seen in the southern part,[WA6378] with some linear earthworks in the northeast, WA3888].
3 The Domesday survey lists Burmington in Barcheston Hundred, [grid ref 2637].
Ref 22,3; [Land of Robert of Stafford] In Burmington 5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2; 12 villagers and 8
smallholders with 6 ploughs. A mill at 10s; meadow, 12 acres. The value was 60s; now 100s.
4 The first edition maps for Burmington show very few houses, but lots of empty plots and little fields, some with orchards, suggesting shrinkage. The church has a C13th foundation, and WA 2266 is the site of the medieval watermill. The tiny fields east of the mill buildings look too foursquare to be medieval. The extent of the medieval village seems clearly defined by the boundary hedges and the ridge and furrow.
5 Archaeological work at 6 The Lane did not reveal any medieval finds or features.