Bishop's Itchington Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Bishop's Itchington which has been identified from aerial photographs and maps.
1 The possible extent of Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, 40SW 1886, and existing HER records.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting shows survival to the west of Bishop’s Itchington, and a little to the east, both close to the edge of the settlement area.
3 Market Charter for Wednesdays granted 2nd June 1259 by Henry III to Roger, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, the King’s Cousin. To be held at manor
Fair Charter granted for vigil feast morrow Peter and Paul (29th June) on 2nd 1259 by Henry III to Roger, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, the King’s cousin. To be held at the manor.
4 Listed in Domesday, in Stoneleigh Hundred. Grid ref 3857.
6,12 (Land of Coventry Church) [Bishop’s] Itchington. 5 hides. Land for 16 ploughs. In lordship 2; 6 slaves; 30 villagers
and 7 smallholders with 13 ploughs. Meadow, 50 acres. Value now £12.
5 The 1886 map shows lots of little lanes and enclosed areas. Domesday indicates a sizeable village, so some shrinkage probably occured. This monument incudes the area of shrunken village, MWA 4928. The 1886 map shows the Manor House to the east of the church, whereas the present Manor House lies to the west. Lots of ridge and furrow survives to the west, with a small area to the east.