Aston Cantlow Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Aston Cantlow, which is suggested by documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map, 37SE 1886.
2 Market held here (Letter Patent); granted 1227, by King Henry III to William de Cantelupe (from Dugdale p834)
3 Listed in Ferncombe Hundred in the Domesday survey. Grid ref 1359. Ref 37,1:-
Osbern son of Richard holds Aston (Cantlow) from the King. 5 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. 9 Flemings and 16 villagers with a priest and 10 smallholders who have 12 ploughs. A mill at 8s and 5 sticks of eels; meadow, 40 acres; woodland 1 league in length and width. The value was 100s; now £6.
4 Domesday indicates a substantial settlement, but the 1886 map doesn’t show very many buildings. There are however lots of small fields with trees/orchards which may be on deserted plots. The church is late C13th in origin. There is ridge and furrow survival shown on the mapdata to the south of the village.