Alvecote Mill at Shuttington.
The site of a watermill which may date from the Medieval period, and was in use until the early 20th century. Only some brick foundations of the mill building now survive. The site is 500m southeast of Alvecote.
Site of a watermill.
1 In 1221 Robert de Bramcote complained that the Prior of Alvecote had drowned his land by raising the mill pool. In 1714 the mill was extant and operational.
2 This may be the site of the mill at Shuttington recorded in the Domesday survey. By 1291 it belonged to Alvecote Priory. Further information on ownership exists for the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. The mill is thought to have ceased working c. 1910. Only the brick foundations of the mill survive. The mill was demolished years ago. A few outbuildings remain, but these are in very poor condition.
3 Ownership records date to 18th century. Site is described as a “Corn mill”, with mill pond sluice and weir shown. Extant remains in 1976 consisted of much overgrown foundations, with associated mill races and so on in a very ruinous state.
4 Remains in 1977 were overgrown foundations of what appeared to be a 19th century building.
5 A Leather Mill is marked here on Greenwoods Map of 1822