This vegetable garden in the Murray School grounds was started as part of the boys’ studies and continued during the First World War as part of the local effort to help feed the nation. The boys were very proud of their produce. During the war submarine attacks on shipping convoys led to food shortages and a large number of allotments were set up in and around the towns and villages of Warwickshire. These can be clearly seen on post-war maps, with land beside railways and so on being pressed into service. Patriotic people also dug up their lawns and flower beds to grow vegetables.
Celebrating the end of the war
Many former Murray School pupils enlisted and several died during the First World War. At the end of the war the Murray school buzzer sounded 20 times and flags were hung out of the windows in celebration.
A brief history of Murray School
Murray school was originally part of the Trinity Parochial School in Rugby (built in 1862). It moved to a new building in Bath Street in 1882 and became known as Murray School. It remained on the site until 1965 when it amalgamated with Benn Girls’ School to become Fareham High School (which then closed in 1986).
Does anyone know why it was called Murray School?
Further information about this topic can be found in the book ‘Aspects of Rugby during World War One’ by the Rugby Local History Research Group.