Sambourne Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the medieval settlement at Sambourne based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1884.
1 The possible extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS map of 1884, 36NE.
2 Domesday lists Sambourne in Ferncombe Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of SP 0561.
Ref 11,2 The church itself (Evesham Church) holds 3 hides. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 2 villagers and 4 smallholders with 3 ploughs. Woodland 1 league long and 1/2 league wide. The value was 20s; now 30s.
3 The 1884 map shows very thin, dispersed settlement, hardly more than a few sheds, the whole suggesting shrinkage. There is a central small triangular space, possibly for a market, and there are strip shaped fields surviving in the northeast part of the village. The Thundering Ditch to the south may date from the 13th century as a boundary feature. Domesday indicates a small settlement. WA551 is the site of a possible medieval chapel, and there a medieval fishponds recorded [WA3773).