Walton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Walton in the parish of Wellesbourne. The area of settlement is suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 as well as documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886, 45SW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday lists Walton in Tremlow Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 28,53. There are 2 entries
Ref 16,9 (Land of the Count of Meulan) Walton. Saxi held it; he was a free man. 5 hides. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 3; 6 slaves; 9 villagers and 1 smallholder with 4 ploughs. A mill at 6s. Value before 1066 and later £3; now £7.
Ref 16,10 Walton. Gytha and Saeith held it; they were free. 10 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 9 slaves; 32 villagers and 3 smallholders with 10 ploughs. 2 mills at 12s; meadow 8 acres; woodland 4 furlongs long and 2 wide. Value before 1066, 100s; later £4; now £10.
4 The first edition map shows a hamlet lying along the road, west of the River Dene.The ridge and furrow plotting shows plot/field lines between the road and the river, and ridge and furrow survival to the northwest and to the southeast on the other side of the river. It is a long was (approx 1 km) from the site of the medieval chapel [WA5215] and from the known deserted site WA1117. Domesday indicates a valuable settlement.
5 Area of village considerably enlarged to reflect earthworks visible on EA lidar