Sutton under Brailes medieval settlement
The extent of the Medieval settlement of Sutton-under-Brailes is suggested by documentary evidence.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement based on the 1st edition 6″ map of 1884, 57NW.
2 Listed in Domesday under Gloucestershire. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 30,36 which differs slightly from this monument which is 30,37.
Ref EG8 In Deerhurst Hundred St Peter’s Church of Westminster holds Deerhurst . . These outliers belong to this manor
Sutton (under Brailes) 5 hides.
3 The first edition map shows a small village grouped around a large open rectangular area ‘The Green’, with further settlement along the lane to the northeast. There are empty plots and small fields, mostly containing orchards and trees. Sutton Brook to the south forms a natural boundary, and there seems to be a discontinuous boundary hedge to the north. There is no ridge and furrow plotting of the parish, but the mapdata ridge and furrow abuts these boundaries. The church [WA2334] dates from the C12th.