Saxon Settlement 600m SW of Brandon Wood Farm
The site of an Anglo Saxon settlement dating to the Migration or Early Medieval period. The settlement was discovered during an archaeological excavation. It was situated 500m south of Brandon Wood.
1 The site lies on Baginton-Lillington gravels. A salvage excavation was mounted in 1970 in advance of gravel extraction. Most of the features excavated appear to have been Iron Age (PRN 1836). One large pit or hollow (F14) yielded over 30 pot sherds, including probable Saxon pottery and a quoit-shaped loomweight. F14 could have been a sunken hut of the West Stow type. Several other features produced possible Saxon material.